Thursday 11 February 2016

Stamping with Pearl Ex Powders

Hello everyone, Autumn here with today's inspirational post.  I hope to inspire you to use your stamps in a new way today.  Years ago, we all started collecting Pearl Ex powders, then came along Ranger's Perfect Pearls, and now there are an even wider variety of these mica pigment powders available.  Way back when, we mainly used them on black paper for high contrast, but I wanted to share a different option for you mixed media junkies, using them over inky backgrounds to create multi-layered tones or "texture."
 Build your base layer by dipping your panels into inky Distress puddles.  Continue layering ink colors until you get a desired result.  Dry your panel between colors and before stamping.
 Ink your desired stamp with VersaMark ink (the clear kind) and stamp it as you like.  Here I've stamped in the top left and bottom right to create a frame for my focal image.
 Now lightly dip a super soft paintbrush in your mica powder and very gently rub it into your stamped pattern.  If you brush hard you will get streaks, so go lightly.
 Next ooooh and aaaahhh over the lovely pattern you've created and play with the light bouncing off.  :)  Of course, this step is optional.
 Once I assembled my focal point, I added a touch of the mica powder to a Frayed Burlap ink puddle and splashed my card.  I also splashed with the pure powder and water, heavily concentrated.  I love the effect!
From all of us girls here at Stamps and Stencils, have a lovely Valentine's Day!  Hugs, Autumn

22 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great tutorial, Autumn! I'm one of those oldies with lots of Pearl Ex powders I seldom use. Love the effect you got here & I'm determined to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ah yes, Pearl Ex powders!! so many pots of these forgotten beauties! Love your card, quite beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for reminding us of just how lovely these powders are! Love your gorgeous card too! I'll definitely be re acquainting myself with my mica powders. ! Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. An amazing idea that I must try. Thank you for sharing it

    Love Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Autumn, for such detailed and inspirational tutorial! Your card is fabulous! Loing the effect you achieved! Beautiful! Hugs! Branka x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tutorial, makes me wonder just how long I've had my Perfect Pearls.....LOL
    You have made the idea of making something new from something old....LOVE it! and I will be giving this a try.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always tend to forget about my Mica Powders......great post Autumn and a beautiful stylish card. TFS, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't used my Perfect Pearls is a long time! You have inspired me to dig them out and give your technique a go. Thanks, Autumn!
    {julia}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for the inspiration, off now to get my perfect pearls out and have a play x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous inspirationsl post Autumn ! My Perfect Pearls are gathering dust somewhere so it's time I dug them out and had a play ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful result and a fabulous tutorial autumn - thankyou xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, absolutely gorgeous!!! And thank you very much for this great tutorial Autumn, I will keep this in mind to play more with my mica Pearls Ex powders.
    Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great tutorial, Autumn... I only disagree with one thing - I don't think the Oohing and Aahing step is optional!!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great process steps Autumn - TFS.
    hugs Brenda xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm oohing and aahhing and it isn't even in my hand, lol!! Great tutorial, and fabulous inspiration ...will definitely be trying this! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. And I have had those darn PearlX powders just sitting and collecting dust! Now I can do what you just showed the world! Thank YOU!!!
    Hugs

    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous inspiration post Autumn, love the colours...my favourite. Not done this for ages and you've acheived a beautiful effect..love the flower...love it all... stunning!! Ruth xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for doing this! It is gorgeous!!! I feel inspired. Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful tutorial! I really love the image you chose to stamp with. Do you know you can also use Distress inks with your Mica Powders? Your completed card is awesome! so feminine and well designed--as always--you are wonderful artist! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fun technique!! And gorgeous tag!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is something I can do with my granddaughters. It looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete